What a delightful time I’ve had chatting with everyone over email and cheering you on as you make your blocks. Having block photos pop up in my email has been the such fun. Now that we are at the quilt top assembly phase, the photos popping into my email will only get more exciting! (Check out the Loves Me, Loves Me Not gallery ).
The layout for the throw-sized quilt places our large Crown and Star block in the center, the four Wedding Ring blocks at each of the corners and then distributes the remaining blocks (Ohio Star, Milton Falls Star, Florence Star, and Rosetta Star) along each side of the quilt. The quilt pattern details a specific layout for where to place each of the blocks along the side but most definitely lay the blocks out on the floor, a bed or a design wall and decide what layout you like best. I personally played around with several – including the one pictured – before deciding on my final layout.
A couple of tips for finishing your throw-sized quilt top:
- The instructions for sashing and outer border (page 3 for throw-sized quilt) call for strips cut at two different widths. The wider (3.5″) strips are for both the border around the Crown and Star block along with the outer border. The smaller (2.5″) strips are for the sashing between blocks.
- The outer border requires the joining of multiple strips to match the dimensions of the quilt. Your strips can be joined on the diagonal – as you would join binding strips – or the ends can be sewn directly together with a 1/4″ seam
- Carefully measure the height and width of the quilt center in three places, average these together and then cut the joined strips to match this dimension instead of what is listed in the pattern
- Securely pin the outer border strips to the side of the quilt before sewing using lots and lots of pins!
Our final giveaway will have four Grand Prize winners. (Prize details will be shared later this month.) The winners will be randomly chosen from those who submit a photo of a finished quilt top (either throw-sized or baby-sized) by May 15, 2023 and meet the eligibility guidelines listed below.
- The participant must email a photo of their finished quilt top prior to 8 p.m. ET Monday, May 15, 2023. The quilt does not need to be quilted or bound – a quilt top (also called a “flimsy”) is acceptable.
- The final quilt layout does not need to be a exact replica of the pattern layout but the quilt must contain a large Crown and Star block and at least four unique smaller blocks from the pattern.
- The participant must be a member of Story Guild (at any membership level, including free) and have downloaded a copy of the Loves Me, Loves Me Not pattern.
- Each winner will be chosen randomly and notified via email. Winner will have 72 hours to claim their prize by responding to our email – if we don’t hear back, we may draw another name. Once all prizes for a specific giveaway have been claimed, the first names of the winners will be announced.
Next Monday, April 17, I’ll share tips about baby-sized quilt assembly.